Monday, December 10, 2012

That Speckled Skirt Update #1

Taking my time much?

I'm actually really happy that I am taking my sweet time with this project. The last thing I need is to be stressed out about something I should be heartily enjoying. I bought the fabric days before I posted about it here-- and have just barely started cutting yesterday.

Cutting is actually my least favorite part of sewing (and from what I hear about others, many agree). It's boring and tedious and never seems to end. It didn't help that for the longest it would be a laborious process of sweeping and moping the wooden floor of the kitchen and having to crawl around on my hands and knees. And then the cuts would be warped because of this! I have a kitchen table now--- and it helps A LOT.

The toile fitting went surprisingly well! I knew within a couple minutes of trying it on that the pattern fit me correctly and I wouldn't have to do very many changes. My 5'3" petite frame poses a lot of fitting issues and I'm SO HAPPY I had to do only ONE change: narrow the bottom hem.




Having chicken legs means that most pencil skirts fit me like a straight cylinder. Curvaceous fit? I can only dream that about RTW!

Either way, I took in the pattern about 4" on the bottom hem and even then it's just BARELY starting to look more "shapely". I'm telling you- chicken legs!


I've cut out the fashion fabric and am about to work on the interlining (which in after thought, I should have done first...!)

Either way, slow and steady wins the race. I think this pace is making sure I'm not stressed out or angry when I'm sewing and that's better in the long run when I start freaking out over mismatched seams and whatnot.

Still haven't gotten my seam binding and I suspect I need to buy more interfacing for the waist band, but all in due time, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment