Friday, January 11, 2013

Body Image and "curves officially in fashion"

Weight and size have come up a few times in the last few days and I feel it's something that should at least deserve a mention here on my blog. I will start out by saying that I really don't think I have weight issues: I'm not trying to be super thin, I don't want a size 28 waist, I don't look at a picture of a model and dream about how wonderful my life would be if only I was thinner. Granted, there are things I feel I could change about myself-- but I generally only think that in a concrit sort of way. My weight and size is only really brought up in the most practical ways as in sizing and pattern: do I cut out a size 12 pattern piece or a size 14? And even those sizes are up for debate!

Reading articles about Plus Size fashion shows really throws me for a loop, though. I honestly have so many thoughts on this issue, I wouldn't even know where to begin! One of my friends recently forwarded me this article about a fashion show dedicated to women over the standard model size. To be honest, even though I am most certainly not a size 0 (or 2!)-- I'm kind of offended by the entire thing. And not even in a PC sort of way. I just think that sort of show is really unnecessary. Heck, even calling it "Plus Sized Weekend" is ridiculous to me. Are we trying to incorporate these women into the fold? Or are we trying to further differentiate them from other models? To me, it honestly stems from a pervasive Millennial culture of everyone-needs-a-trophy.

There really is no need for a separate show. I just think the two types of shows should be combined.

Taking my fashion education (if there's such a thing) into consideration, I think a lot of the "problem" with bone-thin models is the culture of design. It's easier to design for skeletons. Literally. People not privy to the background of fashion design take it personally ("idolizing the thin", etc.) But look at it this way: the fashion figure is 9-10 heads tall. Designers want models to be as close to those proportions as possible. Anything that deviates from that figure is more than just "off". It throws the design off. I don't think it's necessarily an attack on the fat. It's just everyone's jelly rolls are different and designers want to show a standard design.



I'm most certainly sure there is a designer or two who hate the fatty-chans. Magazines, yes. They can "idolize the thin" but that affects my life very little. My world involves looking at pre-measured pieces and making them to fit my body by manipulating the shapes. I don't think clothes judge people... or the shapes or the numbers. If I'm making a garment from the ground up, I can make it do what I want it to do.

The next issue to address would be vanity sizing. And well, that's just unhelpful all around...

No comments:

Post a Comment