Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Watercolor Blues and Lush Textures

So now that my Falling into Autumn Dress is finally done, I'm starting to think about the sort of aesthetic I want to tackle in regards to a solid Christmas/Winter dress. I think I also really have to get better about stockpiling accessories and the things that make a lolita dress "complete". I've always somehow managed to be a seamstress that just focuses on the garment, accessories be damned!

Anyway, I've started a board on Pinterest for the dress so please feel free to follow it!



When I told an acquaintance that I wanted to do a blue/white color scheme the response I got was "That's very Jewish."-- and I get it- the colors are very Hanukkah. But that's not the blue I want to go with! I'm thinking something more like dark, deep blue, and like water color blue. If I could hand dye the fabric and make it look like sea salt and blue water color, it'd make me happy. Granted, I doubt I'll be able to do that for such a project and have it turn out well, the mental image is perfect.

There's really no snow in San Francisco... but I think cold, deep winter is the image I am striving for. And texture. Lots of texture. Gauze? Tea dyed eyelet lace? I don't want to go as so far as making it look too "period" or steampunk. But crisp white would be too "perfect". I want weathered and cold-- yet beautiful and delicate. This would also make the makeup fun to apply: a purple and blue toned ruby lip, like blood in snow. Silver grey eyes and a cold-kissed cheek with a pale touch.

Either way, I think I've decided on using Moi-meme-Moitie's general design from the Iron Gate OP. I'm not sure if I want full sleeves, but at the very least half sleeves. The more I think of it, the more the prospect of an off white, chiffon sleeved dress, with grey blue trim and ribbons sounds amazing. Blue lace tights and satin dark blue shoes and accessories.

Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment