Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rockin' That New Weave.

I'm so excited!

I just received a recent splurge purchase for myself, a lovely, long, wine colored wig from the Korean brand Gabalnara.


To be quite honest, I've never really rocked a wig before. Not because I haven't wanted to, but because for most of my life my hair has been ridiculously unruly and quite thick. Mexican/Puerto Rican descent does not make for particularly great hair to manage and I've just barely gotten comfortable (25 years later...) with some styles I look good in and are relatively low maintenance. 

Now when it comes to red hair, been there, done that! I've bleached my hair so many times at this point that as much as I love having a deep red head, in good conscience I can't put my hair through the drama again. Hence, the wig. 



This particular Korean wig actually really blew me away! The strands feel lifelike (even the "recently colored hair" way) and it's nice and thick! As I've never owned a wig before, I was really unsure what to expect, but if I had any expectations, this really would have exceeded them. The structure inside the wig was beautifully constructed and for the amount I paid (80$, including shipping), it feels like amazing quality.




The bangs were long straight from the package, but with some quick snips, I'm happy to say that a shorter fringe has been arranged. 



I'm still trying to figure out what my most comfortable method of wrapping my natural hair up into a wig cap is-- I've heard a couple suggestions: pincurls and braids. But I think with more use, I'll be pro at it in no time. 



Another random thing to note is... I will more than likely have to shade in my eyebrows with a dark brown or maroon eyeshadow to match/transition between hair and complexion. When I originally tried the wig on from the package, I was rocking really dark brows and it looked strange. Little details like that are easily fixed, however. 

I cannot stress enough the importance of a decent wig cap! In the above pictures I was using the stocking version that came with the wig purchase, but for someone with long, thick hair (like myself)- it's very important to have a more legit cap. I've had multiple people suggest a do-rag!

As for the ordering process, I went with a US reseller of the brand, Gabal Spice and I will definitely be ordering a couple more wigs in the future! Communication was prompt and attentive, and I received my order in 3 business days. It was wrapped up and packaged very securely and the shipping price itself was reasonable. I definitely recommend the shopping service-- it was everything I expect from an online order. 

Wigs I'm looking at for future purchase:


When I stopped coloring my hair red, I used to have a similar hair color... I miss it. My split ends don't, however...!! Also, I really like the half-straight, half-wavy style-- it's very cute and casual; I could probably wear it on a day-to-day if I wanted to be blond for a week or something...

How fun would this be? I know this sort of purple-hue silver hair was really popular a few years ago and well, I always wanted to be one of the cool kids and have hair like this! Alas, if bleaching my hair was a nightmare, going this light would have been even worse...! Still the hair style itself is exactly the type of cut that I like and having it this awesome shade would be amazing. 

If I get any new wigs, I don't see owning them for at least another 3-4 months at the very least. I still have to get comfortable with the one I just bought before I get too ahead of myself! Plus, I need to make sure that my lolita wardrobe evolves enough to match these colors. The red is no problem. The purple/silver and blonde? Gotta work on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment